Humble Beginnings – 1953
Reverend L. E. Roberts started meeting with a small group of people in his son’s home with the intent of reaching the greater city of Mesquite with the gospel. The small congregation quickly grew to where they needed more space and rented a building in the business district of Mesquite on East Davis St. Still growing, the church built an accompanying space alongside the new building and in keeping with their mission, established the name “Mesquite Missionary Baptist Church”.
Establishment in Mesquite – 1956
A year later, The church purchased army barracks from the Love Field Army Air Force Base and used the material to build its first self-owned meeting building. The church built a 150 seat auditorium, five Sunday school rooms, three restrooms, and a nursery. Later the auditorium was expanded to seat 200 and six more classrooms were added. On September 10th 1972 the church broke ground for a new auditorium that would seat 500, new offices, additional educational rooms and nursery facilities. The building was completed and moved into on April 15th 1973. Much of the work on the building was done by the members and volunteers. On February 7th of that year, the church changed its name to Calvary Missionary Baptist Church.
A merge and a Vision – 2005
In May of 2005 Calvary Baptist Church and First Baptist Church of Balch Springs merged with Bro. Mac Costlow as pastor. The combined churches set out to communicate the vision they wanted to keep at the center of this new season and changed their name to “Calvary First Baptist Church”.
A Fire and the Future – 2007
A fire destroyed the auditorium of Calvary First Baptist Church and much of the educational building on October 4th 2007. Without a meeting place the church met at various locations until Edgemont Park Baptist Church offered the use of their building from 1:00 – 5:00 PM every Sunday until its new building was completed and dedicated on May 2nd 2010, at 2850 East Glen Blvd. Mesquite.
Calvary First – Today
Standing on the shoulders of these leaders and volunteers, Calvary First is taking every step forward to become who God has called us to be. Central to this leadership is the understanding that what Mesquite Texas needs is not another church–but is in dire need of a different kind of church. One that creates environments that removes barriers between ordinary people and extraordinary faith. With the help of incredible volunteers and service workers, this is made possible each Sunday and throughout the week.